Thursday 20 March 2008

Rising Star

Mary Johnston chats to coleraine actress jayne wisener, who had a starring role in the recent hollywood blockbuster sweeney todd.


Jayne Wisener’s parents Margaret and John could bottle and sell the formula they used for producing such a delightful daughter, they’d make a fortune. The twenty year old actress from Coleraine, who recently had a starring role in Sweeney Todd, is quite simply a reassuring and shining example of how wonderful young people today can be. Blonde, green-eyed Jayne was plucked almost from obscurity to play the part of Johanna, the ingĂ©nue daughter of Johnny Depp’s gruesome character in the Warner Brothers multi-million pound blockbuster movie and it couldn’t have come at a better time for her. A hectic round of press interviews followed four world-wide premieres where young Jayne attracted her fair share of the spotlight. ‘Surreal’ is how the former Coleraine schoolgirl and former Antrim Rose of Tralee, describes what it’s been like. Currently based in London, she’s doing the rounds of auditions there, loving every minute of it and is grounded enough to realise that in her chosen career, rejection is part of the job. “You just have to get on with it and accept that when you don’t land a part, maybe it’s not meant to be. I hope and pray that if it’s for me, it won’t go past me.”

Receiving a standing ovation for her London stage debut in Parade, must go some way towards reassuring her; particularly when acclaimed American actor Kevin Spacey was in the audience, up on his feet and clapping. Jayne had just flown back from Dublin when I caught up with her for Ulster Tatler.

I bet your feet haven’t touched the ground since the movie was released. What’s it been like?
Surreal is the only word to describe it. I can’t believe it at times that all this is happening to me. I was invited to the Irish Film & Television Awards and that too was great fun. I was chatting away to the taxi man on the way to the airport and we were just saying that Irish people from the north and the south really are very level-headed and friendly. But, I have to say that I’ve also found the people here (in London) very nice too.

Where was Sweeney Todd filmed and how long did it take?
It was at Pinewood Studios and lasted from February until May last year.

Describe your first day on the set?
Omigod. It was amazing. I arrived there at ridiculous o’clock and was taken into make-up where they did my hair and put on my face for the period and I loved that, seeing myself change into this other girl. Then came trying on the big dress, so all in all we spent the whole day doing all that. The director, Tim Burton came to my dressing room and said, “You’re gonna be fine Jayne. You’ll be great. Don’t worry if we have to shoot some things several times. It could be for any number of reasons, like sound, light etc; but it won’t be because you’re doing anything wrong, so don’t worry.” He was so gentle and so nice and just called there to reassure me.

I realise you’ve been asked a thousand times already, but what was it like acting with the magnificent Johnny Depp?
I can’t describe it. Again, it was unbelievable. I always was a big fan and here was me actually working with the guy. He has it all. He’s so good looking and he can sing and is the most amazing actor. He was friendly enough but you’re not together that much. I had a couple of days working alongside.

Was he helpful?
In so far as watching him work and observing; that was beneficial. Honestly, the cast were all nice.

You’ve a lot to be thankful to Jenny Cooke, Executive Director and Founder of Musical Theatre 4 Uth. for, haven’t you?
I certainly have and I can’t repeat enough, how useful and beneficial my time with MT4Uth was. It gave me enormous experience and the confidence I needed and I enjoyed every minute of it. It was through Jenny inviting the casting scout for the film over to Ireland, that I got this fantastic opportunity.

Explain what happened.
I was appearing in West Side Story in the Millennium Forum in Londonderry and Jenny invited Jeremy James Taylor over and as a result, I was asked to audition for the part of Johanna.

Is it true that at first they thought that at 19, you might be too old to play a fifteen year old?
Yes, but once they saw the photos of me without any make-up, they were
happy enough.

You also played a thirteen-year-old in your UK stage debut in Parade in London’s West End. What was that?
It’s a musical. It played on Broadway in 1998 but this was done in a different way here by director Rob Ashford. This production was in a more intimate space at the Donmar Warehouse. It went down very well. It was very strong. It was about the trial of Leo Frank accused of rape and I played his thirteen-year-old victim. A lot of people came to see it and one night Kevin Spacey was in the audience and I saw him up on his feet afterwards. Imagine.

Have you any brothers or sisters Jayne? What do they make of your new- found fame?
One brother John who’s 18 and one sister Gillian who’s 17. Parade was their favourite. We’re very close and I love them. They think it’s a bit strange but they take it in their stride.

Were you always interested
in acting?
Yes. When I was at school, D.H. Memorial Primary, I was in all the plays and after, when I was at Coleraine High, I took part in all the musical productions. I was both influenced and helped very much by my great-aunt Heather Wisener. I later studied for my Diploma in Music Theatre with my singing coach Peter Wilson.

How did you enjoy your time at the Royal Scottish Academy?
My first year was brilliant. It was great fun. The facilities were fantastic. They had a whole library full of accent tapes alone and two great studios. I loved it. Loads of good actors came out of it including James McAvoy. I liked the students and the teachers. I enjoyed Glasgow too, but in my second year, I somehow lost confidence. I don’t know why. It was a real crisis for me. I was the youngest student in my year. I wanted to come home. Mum made me watch tapes of myself as a kid, all smiling and happy and I started questioning myself. To tell you the truth, Sweeney Todd was a real blessing for me. It happened at the right time. It allowed me to find myself.

How do you like London?
I love it. It’s great. I was a wee bit intimidated at first and I’d phone home at least twice a day. I’m looking for a flat in the city ‘cos I’m living in the outskirts at the minute. It’s very exciting.

Do you ever feel frightened? There was a lot in the news recently about women being afraid to walk alone on the streets there.
No, not really. I think you have to be sensible and aware. I had my purse stolen already. It was taken from my bag in Starbucks. A guy spilled his coffee and I was worried in case he’d burned himself and while I was checking if he was OK, he was removing my purse!
Have you been recognised in
the streets?
No, not yet, but I was buying myself a ring when I was in Dublin and the girl asked if I was that girl from the movie. I said yes and we both just started laughing. It was weird.

Which designer did you wear to the movie premieres?
I wore Armani to the New York one and a different Armani to the London screening. The NY one was green and a fifties style and the second one was next season’s in lilac, sequinned and very fashionable. Not that I know anything about Armani, but they lent them to me. I’d be more of a Top Shop girl or River Island or Warehouse. I bought my own shoes for the premieres. Mum and I had the best time shopping in Macey’s in New York It was magical. The guy, Douglas was so helpful. I’m hard to find shoes for as I’m only a size 3, but he managed and the prices were great. For the London premiere, I was told to get something sparkly to wear, so I went to Accessorise.

Which actors do you admire?
There are so many…….Johnny Depp, Julia Roberts, Emma Thompson, Nicole Kidman, Jake Gyllenhaal and of course Kevin Spacey and loads of others.

Is there a particular role you’d love to play?
Not really. I like to show versatility and I like a challenge. I’m young. I love period dramas. I was raging when Sense & Sensibility ended.

With what’s been in the press about stars and the temptations they’re faced
with, does that concern you?
I’m talking about drugs.
No. I don’t know anybody who takes drugs. They don’t interest me in any way. Life’s so good. It’s full of natural highs as far as I’m concerned.

Finally Jayne, do you have a boyfriend and what would be your ideal night out?
Yes I do. He’s English and he’s called Fergus and he graduates from Drama School this year. He’s lovely. My ideal night out is probably having a nice meal in a restaurant with him or else maybe with friends or family and I love the Ramore Wine Bar in Portrush.

MT4Uth was established by its founder and Executive Director Jenny Cooke to give young people from across Ireland access to the very best quality musical theatre tuition, along with the chance to perform on the stages of various regional theatre venues across the country.

MT4Uth Contact: Tel: 028 93 340871 Mob: 07879 077 800
website: www.mt4uth.com

No comments: